Today is World Book Day a designated by UNESCO as a worldwide celebration of books and reading which is marked in over 100 countries around the globe. World Book Day is a partnership of publishers, booksellers and interested parties who work together to promote books and reading for the personal enrichment and enjoyment of all.
An aim of World Book Day in the UK and Ireland is to encourage children to explore the pleasures of books and reading by providing them with the opportunity to have a book of their own. So to mark the day, school children are entitled to receive a World Book Day £1 Book Token (or equivalent €1.50 Book Token in Ireland) supplied by National Book Tokens Ltd. The £1 Book Token can be exchanged for one of eight specially published World Book Day £1 Books, or is redeemable against any book or audio book of their choice costing £2.99 or more at a participating bookshop or book club.
The full list of £1 books for 2013 is:
- Alfie’s Shop, Shirley Hughes
- Giraffes Can’t Dance: Colouring and Puzzle Fun, Giles Andreae and Guy Parker-Rees
- Horrid Henry’s Guide to Perfect Parents, Francesca Simon, illustrated by Tony Ross
- Tony Robinson’s Weird World of Wonders: Funny Inventions, Tony Robinson
- The Diamond Brothers in… Two of Diamonds, Anthony Horowitz
- Hang In There Bozo: The Ruby Redfort Emergency Survival Guide For SomeTricky Predicaments, Lauren Child
- Tom Gates: Best Book Day Ever!, Liz Pichon
- The Chocolate Box Girls: Bittersweet, Cathy Cassidy
The Littlesheeps spent theirs at the School Book Fair last week…
Littlest (4) chose:
Middle (6) chose:
Biggest (8) chose:
They also had to dress up for school – Biggest is going as Harry Potter, Middle as Kaos from his Spyro book above and Littlest – well as of 8.15am this morning he finally decided to be Ben10 (okay so not strictly a book but we do have a Ben10 book so I’ll let him off!).
How have your children been celebrating World Book Day? And what books have they enjoyed today?